Established in 2014
In early 2014, a group of ‘fairly decent’ runners living and working out of Suva pursued the idea of creating a platform to promote marathon running for Pacific islanders, as well as use it to encourage healthy living practices.
In Fiji, about 82% of deaths are caused by NCDs (2013 Statistics). This is something we’d like a hand in changing. So the idea we had became the Suva Marathon Club (SMC) and the eventual hosting of the inaugural Suva Marathon in 2014.
Our organisation’s vision is to organise a world class annual marathon in Suva to promote healthier lifestyles. Our core values focus on aiding the local community as a whole whilst striving for good health for all with passion, inclusivity, honesty, openness and integrity.
The Suva Marathon Club plays hosts to the largest road race in the Pacific, The Suva Marathon. Boasting over 1000 participants, the annual event consists of various race categories which include: The full marathon (42.2km) The half marathon (21.2km) .
The mission of the Trust is to provide a focal point for runners in Suva and throughout Fiji who have competed in or have keen interest in long-distance running and road running in all its forms.
- To promote athletics in general and marathon running in particular in such a way that is in accordance with the rules and regulations of Athletics Fiji (AF) and the International Association of Athletics Federation (IAAF);
- To promote and organize an annual Suva Marathon event and other distance running challenges for members and the public;
- To assist members to enter distance events individually and collectively;
d. To share knowledge and experience and encourage newcomers to the sport of distance running;
- To assist the organisers of road marathons in Fiji by providing constructive feedback and support;
- To promote marathons in Suva and throughout Fiji through the provision of an endorsement mark;